do shoes stretch at home?
The situation is familiar to everyone: shoes or boots sat perfectly in the store, and calluses were rubbed at home. Do shoes stretch? Yes, It's not a problem! Own the dodgers knows how to stretch leather, suede, patent leather and even rubber shoes with improvised means.
How to stretch leather or suede shoes
Leather and suede are malleable, flexible materials, especially when exposed to heat.
- Put your shoes in a bathtub or sink and pour boiling water on the inside. It is enough to fill the inside of the product for a couple of seconds and immediately pour hot water. Get wet, wait for the shoes to cool slightly, and put them on your feet. Preferably on top of socks, so as not to burn yourself.
- If you are afraid to wet your shoes, do the same, having previously put a packet inside each shoe so that the boiling water and the lining do not touch.
- Not only boiling water will be effective, but also ice. Fill two quarter-packs with water, tie and dip one piece into the boot. Put the structure in the freezer and take it out when everything is completely frozen. After the ice melts, remove it from the shoe. Such a procedure is suitable for a durable undemanding pair: not any material will stand the test of cold.
- Moisten the inside of the shoe with alcohol or vodka, put on a pair and wear for several hours. Such exposure will help soften the material and fit the shoes to the size of your foot. But remember: alcohol is a rather aggressive agent, so first check the color fastness in an inconspicuous area.
The same methods are suitable for winter shoes with fur lining. Just do not wet the inside of shoes or boots. Well, you need to dry your shoes carefully.
How to stretch faux leather shoes
The leatherette stretches poorly and easily deteriorates: it cracks and loses shape. However, it is too early to lose hope. There are ways to stretch such shoes.
- Grease the inside of the shoes with greasy cream or petroleum jelly. Wait 2–3 hours for the moisturizing mask to soak into the material, and then put on your shoes and walk for 20–40 minutes.
- You can try the way everyone knows with newspapers. They must be packed tightly into each shoe, and then leave the pair to dry at room temperature. When stuffing, do not be zealous so that the shoes do not deform. Also, do not try to speed up the drying process with a battery or hair dryer: excessive heat can damage the material.
- A method for wasteful or those who need to stretch the narrow top of their high boots. Insert into the shoes a bag, pour any small grains into it, and pour water on top. The grain will swell and stretch the squeezing shoes without your participation in 8-10 hours.
How to stretch patent leather shoes
Stretching patent leather shoes is more difficult due to the fact that there is a risk of damaging the upper coating: it can crack and lose its luster. You can safely increase the shoes if under the varnish soft and thin skin (natural or artificial). Is your couple just that? Then to the point!
- Mix alcohol and water in a 2: 1 ratio; moisten the socks with the resulting solution. Now put them on, and on top of them are the stubby shoes. Walking in shoes should be about an hour or two until the socks completely dry.
- With petroleum jelly or cream, treat the inside of the shoe, paying particular attention to the tight parts: toe and heel. Then in the shoes you need to insert the pads (if you have them) or, as usual, put the shoes on tight socks.
How to stretch rubber shoes
If your waterproof friends are made of durable classic rubber - alas, nothing. If from the now widespread polyvinyl chloride (aka PVC), then it's easy. A needle or an awl and a lighter are enough to check the material. Heat the metal and touch the boots in an inconspicuous place, just do not pierce them. If the boots began to melt, then this is PVC and the shoes can be stretched.
You will need:
- several liters of boiling water,
- deep container with ice water,
- wool or terry socks,
- your boots and your legs.
Pour boiling water into rubber shoes and wait 3-5 minutes: the material will become noticeably softer. Put on tight socks and move the basin of cold water closer. Pour boiling water from the boots, quickly pat them with a towel so as not to get your feet wet, and put them on your socks. In a heated pair, trample properly and walk for a few minutes. Leave the shoes in cold water for an hour, and then do not forget to dry.
This method will not only increase the rubber boots, but also customize them to the shape of your foot. True, stretched shoes should be walked only after a day or two, when the boots finally harden.
I Hope, now you know the answer of do shoes stretch.
Do you often have to deal with squeezing shoes? Do you have your own secret shoe stretch techniques ? Share tips in the comments.